VA Benefits  

Options for Benefits

A summary of benefit options is listed below. For complete details about each program, visit the GI Bill web site. Before you apply for VA benefits, make sure you have completed the steps outlined in Getting Started.

Chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill provides up to three years of educational benefits toward your IU degree or certificate program. Benefits are available to you for 15 years after ending active duty. Under this program, you are entitled to funds based on the length of time you were on active duty. Dependents may also use Chapter 33 benefits transferred to them by their sponsor.

Indiana University participates in the Yellow Ribbon program under the Post 9/11 GI Bill. This provides additional financial assistance to nonresident or graduate students whose costs are not fully covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill. To qualify, you must be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill at the 100 percent tier and have costs that exceed Veterans Affairs state maximums.

Chapter 30, Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB)—Active Duty

This program provides up to three years of educational benefits toward your IU degree or certificate program. Benefits are available to you for 10 years after ending active duty. You must have contributed $1,200 to the MGIB during your first year on active duty to be eligible.

Chapter 31, Disabled Veterans Qualified for Vocational Rehabilitation

In most cases, in order to receive Chapter 31 education benefits, you must receive monthly VA disability payments. Exceptions are made in some cases, however. This award will cover tuition, books, supplies, and other education-related expenses. Application is separate and distinct from the education benefit applications. Contact the IU Northwest Office of Veterans Affairs Services for further information.

Chapter 35, Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance

To receive funds toward your education under this program, you must be the son, daughter, or spouse of a deceased, disabled, or captive veteran. Limitations for receiving benefits vary with age and the circumstances surrounding the veteran’s discharge.

Chapter 1606, Montgomery GI Bill—Selected Reserve

The Montgomery GI Bill—Selected Reserve benefits are available to members of the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard. Funding will be provided toward your IU degree or certificate program.

Chapter 1607 Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) for Those Called to Active Duty under the National Call to Service Program

This education program provides up to three years of benefits for members of the Selected Reserves, Individual Ready Reserve, and National Guard who are placed on active duty because of war or other national emergencies.

Chapter 901, Educational Assistance Test Program

To be eligible for benefits under this program, you must have enlisted in the Air Force between December 1, 1980 and September 30, 1981 and meet all other military requirements including enlisting in specific Air Force specialties at select locations. 

Other Veteran Benefits  

Indiana Purple Heart recipients and children of disabled Indiana veterans may qualify for a state tuition fee remission. The Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs has applications for both programs online.

In some instances, veterans attending college are eligible for unemployment benefits. The veteran organization and the Indiana Department of Workforce Development offer detailed information concerning jobless benefits for student veterans.

Quick Tips  

There are significant differences between Chapter 30 and Chapter 33 benefits. You can switch from the Chapter 30 program to Chapter 33, but the change is permanent and should only be made after you understand the differing amounts of entitlement available under each program.  For more information, call Veterans Affairs toll-free at 1-888-442-4551.

If all courses you are enrolled in meet for the entire semester and count toward your degree program, you need 12 undergraduate or 8 graduate credit hours to be considered full time by Veterans Affairs. Courses with a shortened duration may affect your benefits. If you are unsure about your status, please contact the IU Northwest Office of Veterans Affairs Services.