- Financial aid, Scholarship, grants and loans applicable to program costs. See a financial aid advisor as soon as possible. Tell the advisor you are interested in the Minority Studies’, China program.
- Overseas Study—China. (7days/6nights)
- July 25.Arrive Shanghai, China
- July 31, Depart Shanghai, China
The course is divided into three parts. Part I is located at Indiana University Northwest. This part of the course presents an introduction to urbanization and transformation in China. Part II is the study abroad section. We will spend seven days and six nights in Shanghai. Lodging and classes will be at held at East China Normal University. This section will also include off site classes and lectures by leading experts in urbanization, Women’s Studies, etc. Part III of the course will be held at IUN. During our last class sessions we will have extensive discussions, reflections and a summative evaluation of our study abroad experience.
Part I of Course. Classes at IUN*
Monday, July 7, First day of class
Wednesday, July 9
Wednesday, July 16
Part II. Short term Overseas Study--Classes in Shanghai, China
July 25, Friday Arrive Shanghai, China
July 31, Depart, Shanghai China
Part III. Classes at IUN
Wednesday, August 6th
August 20th Last day of class
* For non-resident IUN students this is a hybrid/blended course. IUN classes will be online with permission of instructor.
IU Resident Instructor:
Earl R. Jones, PhD.AM.,ASCE,
Chair, and Associate Professor,
Department of Minority Studies, College of Arts and Sciences
Adjunct, Associate Professor Department of Sociology,
Associate Professor, City and Regional Planning, School of Public and Environmental Affairs
- 3 credit hours, undergraduate
- Student at IU campus who is making normal academic progress
- Have approximately a cumulative 2.50 GPA
- Single dorm accommodations with breakfast and at East China Normal University for students
Estimated 2014 Costs
- $1,500. Program Fee in Shanghai. Important, Financial Aid and Scholarships below.
This fee includes the following:
- Single dorm accommodations with breakfast at East China Normal University
- Airport transfer upon arrival and departure from Shanghai
- Welcome dinner at a Sichuan restaurant with a face-changing folklore performance
- Farewell dinner
- City Tour including transportation and all admission fees
- Tour stops: People Square, French Concession, and the Pudong Financial District
- Classroom space for 6 hours per day for 7 days, including laptop, projector, and screen
- Four guest lecturers
- Guest speaker at the Shanghai Urban Planning Museum
- Chinese Contemporary History
- Women in China
- Ethnic Groups
- Four site visits including transportation
- Social Policy: Sunshine Home: A home that takes care of children with cerebral palsy as well as the elderly.
- Globalization—Economic Development: Company visit to Coca Cola
- Communicative Chinese class and tea house visit
- Education: Migrant primary school visit
- Four cultural excursions including transportation and all admission fees
- Old City God Temple
- Chinese Acrobatic Show
- Preserved Watertown (Zhujiajiao) visit
- Night cruise in the Huang Pu River
- Tour of East China Normal University
- iNext Travel Insurance
- 24/7 Emergency Support (via telephone)
Estimated expenses not included in fees:
Financial Aid and Scholarships
- 3 credit hours payable to IU Northwest (3cr: $575)
- airfare (approx. $1,400—1,700)
- Passport and Visa (approx. $300)
- personal expenses (approx. $250)
- textbooks (approx. $50)
- IU / IU Northwest scholarships are available to IU / IU Northwest students (contact Earl R. Jones, PhD.,AM.,ASCE)
- $600.00 Council on International Educational Exchange Grant
- $350.00 (maximum) David Starr Jordan Scholarship
Due Date for IUN Grants and Scholarships
Application for IUN Grants and Scholarships.
Due Dates for Program Fee of $1,500. Make payment to IUN Bursar.
IUN Grants and Scholarships up to $950.00 will be subtracted from your program fee.
April 10th deposit, $250.00
May 10th remaining amount due, $300.00, if you have applied for and received IUN Grants and Scholarships of $950.00.
- June 24th last day to withdraw from program to receive full refund.