Skip to Main Content
diverse set of student hands coming together in a circular figure

Indiana University Northwest is committed to supporting the academic success of all students, but recognizes that certain life events may inhibit this progress.  Students who suffer a temporary injury (e.g., a broken arm or leg, concussion) and require assistance are encouraged to immediately contact their academic dean's office. In the event the injury occurred while the student was participating in an IUN intercollegiate athletic event, the student should also notify the Department of Athletics.  IUN does not provide personalized transportation service to students who have sustained leg injuries or are immobile.  

While the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) does not recognize temporary injuries as a disability for which accommodation is legally mandated, the academic deans' offices, and when appropriate, the Department of Athletics, make concerted efforts to provide support as possible. Students wishing to seek such support should inform these offices about injuries promptly so that parties can effectively collaborate and coordinate reasonable support efforts.  In particular, the academic deans' offices wish to be informed about any injury that will impact a student's academic responsibilities, so that they may collaborate with the student to develop a management plan for the convalescent period.  The deans can help to facilitate discussions regarding academic options, which may include alternate due dates for examinations or other assignments and medical leaves of absence.

The Office of Disabilities of SSS acts as a resource to the deans advising students with temporary injuries and should be contacted prior to referring students to the Office of Disabilities of SSS.  Students should be proactive in keeping their academic deans and faculty informed if they need consideration for extended academic accommodations.  Specifically, the recovery time for concussion might go beyond a couple of weeks; hence, academic deans are encouraged to consult with the Office of Disabilities of SSS to determine appropriate course of action in assisting students requesting on-going academic support.