Submitting Final Grades
Grades Submitted Late
FN, FNN, and F Grading
Faculty Procedures to Remove an Incomplete
SUBMITTING FINAL GRADES
The Office of the Registrar relies on timely submission of grades so that we are able to provide the grades to students as soon as possible. According to the guidelines established by the University Faculty Council, final grades are due to the Office of the Registrar 48 hours after the final examination. Final grades are submitted by faculty through an online process.
- Grades submitted via Oncourse CL: Must be approved/saved/submitted no later than 8:00 pm to guarantee overnight posting to SIS with availability the next morning on OneStart.
- Grades submitted via OneStart must be approved/saved/submitted no later than 10:00 pm to guarantee overnight posting to SIS with availability the next morning on OneStart.
*Note: Once grades have been submitted, grade changes may be submitted via email through the faculty member's IUN email account or by completing the Grade Change Form in the Office of the Registrar. After the Corrected Grades period, all grade changes must be submitted in accordance with our Change of Grade policy.
GRADES SUBMITTED LATE
Grades not turned in by the deadline will result in grades "NR" being sent to the student. Late grades may also result in a student not being allowed to return for the next semester, not being allowed to compete in intercollegiate athletics, or not being able to receive financial aid. We will notify students with the grades of any late rosters, but that will not occur for 2-3 weeks after the end of the term. To save yourself phone calls from concerned students, parents, and school recorders, please get your grades in on time.
FN, FNN, AND F GRADING
In compliance with University Faculty Council Policy (FN Non-Attendance, March 1999), faculty members are required to differentiate students who fail a class because they quit attending from those who failed the class on merit.
FN - The grade of FN should be given to those students who attended your course but for whom lack of attendance is the basis for a failing grade. If you enter a grade of FN, a last date of attendance must also be entered into the Last Date Attend field. Give your best date for when the student either last attended or participated in the course. This may be the last quiz or assignment that was turned in or, if you take attendance, a more exact date. The system will not let you enter a date in this field that is not within the term begin and term end dates. The grade of FN will be treated on the transcript in the same way we handle the grade of F. The student will not see the FN.
Should you award an FN grade, please record the date you provided on the roster in your own records, such as your grade book. Use of the grade will provide documentation required by the auditors to comply with federal financial aid regulations.
FNN - If the student never attended the class, enter a grade of FNN. It is not necessary to enter a Last Date of Attendance with the FNN grade. The grade of FNN will be treated on the transcript in the same way we handle the grade of F. The student will not see the FNN.
F - You should, of course, still award an F to any student whom you have determined has "earned" it, whether as a result of poor academic performance or spotty attendance.
All Incomplete grades are automatically converted to F’s one calendar year after the Incomplete was recorded. Students receiving an Incomplete grade in a course should not register for the course a second time.
Remember that if a student is attending your class to complete a previous grade of Incomplete, the student's name will not appear on you roster. In order to award the grade you will need to submit a Removal of Incomplete form to the Office of the Registrar.
If you are assigning an Incomplete, be sure to give your department any necessary information on the work the student must finish. This is usually done by completing a card and turning it in to the department. Check with your department or school for more information.
FACULTY PROCEDURE TO REMOVE AN INCOMPLETE
- Pick up a Removal of Incomplete Form from the recorder in your department or school.
- Complete the form and return it to the Office of the Registrar (please do not give the form to the student to deliver).
- Be sure to submit the form by the deadline when Incomplete grades automatically change to failing grades (approximately 13 months after the end of the term in which the Incomplete was awarded). It is still possible to change the grade after that conversion has occurred, but it will require a formal appeal to the Academic Affairs Committee.
- If the student is completing the work for another instructor by attending your class, provide the appropriate grade information to the original instructor. He or she is responsible for filing the Removal of Incomplete Form with the registrar’s office.
- If the original instructor is no longer with the university or is unavailable (i.e., on sabbatical), provide the necessary information to the department chair. He or she will file the form on behalf of the original instructor.
- The dean of the student’s school may authorize the change of an Incomplete to a withdrawal by completing a Removal of Incomplete Form.
- The Office of the Registrar will notify the student of the new course grade and update his or her student record.