Advantages of the RN to BSN option
As part of the flexibility of the program, courses are available online, so students are not required to travel to campus for class. In some cases, the general education courses may be completed through Indiana University’s distance education programs or at another college/university in your area, with credits transferred to the School of Nursing's RN to BSN option.
The program is based upon a cohort model which means that you are part of a group of RNs who will progress through the program together. This allows us to offer course work systematically in order to streamline your academic progress.
There is an option for documentation of prior learning via BSN nursing course K304. This course allows the RN-BSN student to apply nationally recognized specialty nursing knowledge and skills to the BSN degree, through authentication of certification for course credit. National specialty standards will be used to determine eligibility for course credit (3 credit hours).
Other advantages of this option include:
- Take classes from the comfort of home
- Access course information online 23-24 hours a day (the university course management system, Oncourse, generally undergoes maintenance from 5-6 a.m.)
- Complete course assignments at times convenient for you
- Learn where you work
- Build academic minors or majors in other areas, such as business or psychology
- Create your own unique capstone nursing experience
- Develop skills for lifelong learning