Thursday Jun 19, 2014
Indiana University Northwest students, visitors and employees will experience some traffic detours in the coming weeks due to a major sewer project occurring on and near the campus. The project is being conducted in partnership with the Gary Sanitary District.
The work began yesterday, Wednesday, June 18, and will continue for the next few weeks, weather and other factors permitting.
The closures are as follows (weather and other factors permitting):
- Week of June 15: The parking lot north of 33rd Avenue will be closed, and will not re-open until the entire project is finished.
- Week of June 22: The intersection of 33rd Avenue and Broadway will be closed. The parking lot south of 33rd Avenue will be closed partially (east side only).
- Week of June 29: The intersection of 33rd Avenue and Broadway will re-open. The parking lot south of 33rd Avenue will be closed partially (center section only).
- Week of July 6: The parking lot south of 33rd Avenue will be closed partially (west section only).
- Week of July 13: The entire parking lot south of 33rd Avenue will be closed for repaving.
Individuals arriving to campus for New Student Orientation are advised to park in the lots east of Broadway.
Due to an expected increase in traffic due to the detour, all IU Northwest students, employees, visitors, and motorists are advised to use EXTREME CAUTION when crossing Broadway.
We appreciate your patience during this important project, which once finished, will provide substantial assistance to the campus, and surrounding neighborhoods, by removal of storm water during heavy rains.