Thursday Feb 27, 2014
Theatre Northwest, the performance company of the Indiana University Northwest Department of Performing Arts, is proud to announce its spring production, “The Miser,” a play by Moliere and adapted by Timothy Mooney.
The show is scheduled for 7:30 p.m., March 27-29 and April 2-5 and 2:30 p.m., Sunday, March 30 at Theatre Northwest on Grant, 3660 Grant St., located one mile west of the main campus at 37th Avenue and Grant Street.
The play is directed by IU Northwest Assistant Professor Mark Baer. The crew consists of Stage Manager Terese Estes of Valparaiso, Assistant Stage Manager Maegan Glass of Griffith, Wardrobe Manager Samantha Janosi of Hammond, and Sound Board Operator Christina Biancardi of St. John. All are IU Northwest students.
In “The Miser,” Harpagon loves nothing so much as his money, not even his own children. So even though both his son and daughter have fallen in love with young, vital partners, Harpagon attempts to engage them to a rich widow and widower in their declining years. Making matters worse, Harpagon wants to marry his son’s lover himself, his only regret being she has very little money as a dowry. First produced in Chicago in 1998, this rhymed verse adaptation of Moliere’s classic comedy explores the fine line between money and love and the consequences of valuing the former over the latter.
The cast includes:
- Harpagon (the miser) – Mario Dongu, Hammond
- Elise (his daughter) – Sophia Settle, Hammond
- Cleate (his son) – Brandon Hearne, Hammond
- Valere (secret lover of Elise, disguised as Harpagon’s servant) – James Burch, Griffith
- Mariane (a virtuous maiden) – Kelley Feeman, Valparaiso
- Jaques (servant to Harpagon) – Kloe Brady, Gary
- La Fleche (servant to Cleate) – Amanda Tomczak, Griffith
- Frosine (a matchmaker) – Cartrese Abrons, Gary
- Anselme (a wealthy man) and Brindavione (a servant) – Robert Martin IV, Gary
- Simon (a broker) and Dame Claude (a servant) – Joan Correa, Hammond
- Commissioner (the police) and La Merluche (a servant) – Peaches Chunn, Portage
General admission tickets are $10. Cash only will be accepted at the door. Reservations are highly recommended as performances will sell out. Reserve your seats online at www.iun.edu/theatre or by calling (219) 980-6808.
About Theatre Northwest:
Theatre Northwest, the performance company of the Indiana University Northwest Department of Performing Arts, is highly regarded as an affordable and accessible performance venue serving the communities of Northwest Indiana and Chicagoland. The theatre also serves as a platform for the up-and-coming talent of the Department of Performing Arts, the only public theatre degree program in Northwest Indiana.