Friday Aug 23, 2013
Campus safety is everyone’s responsibility and the IU Police Department – Northwest (IUPD-NW) asks the campus community to practice common-sense precautions to minimize risk.
- Program the IUPD-NW phone number into your mobile phone so you won’t have to search for it when you need it: (219) 980-6501.
- Stay aware: Keep your IU Notify emergency contact information updated via OneStart. See ‘Emergency Notification’ located in the left navigation menu.
- Be alert, and always trust your instincts.
- Avoid walking alone at night: Call for 24-hour police escorts.
- Park your car in well-lit areas and keep it locked.
- Do not leave valuables in your vehicle or unattended in unlocked offices.
- If you must work or study alone in an isolated area, lock the door and tell IUPD-NW your location and when you plan to leave.
- Do not be afraid to be impolite or make a scene if you feel threatened.
- Promptly report crime, suspicious activity, harassing calls or emails, or security-related maintenance problems.
- When using personal or campus computers, observe Internet precautions: check settings, passcode your devices, and be cautious with unsecured WiFi.
Traffic Safety, Parking Reminders
The roads surrounding campus, as well as the parking lots, are particularly busy at the beginning of each academic semester.
Pedestrians, please follow these safety precautions when crossing streets adjacent to campus:
- Cross the street at marked crosswalks and intersections.
- Stop and look before crossing the street.
- Use pedestrian push buttons and obey “walk” and “don’t walk” signals.
- Make eye contact with drivers to confirm they see you. Never assume they do.
- Do not text or talk on cell phones while crossing the street.
Drivers are reminded to:
- Take note of the new traffic signal installed at 34th Avenue and Broadway.
- Slow down and obey the posted speed limit.
- Always look for pedestrians, especially when turning at an intersection with a traffic light.
- Be cautious and prepared to stop quickly, as vehicles in front of you may be stopping for a pedestrian.
Driving to campus? Important parking reminders:
- Don’t get ticketed! Review the campus parking map to familiarize yourself on where your parking permit is valid.
- Don’t have a parking permit? Use the visitor’s Parking Permit Kiosk: $2/day for a parking permit. Kiosks located on the west side of lot #2 (south side of 33rd Ave.) and in front of the Library Conference Center.
- Do NOT park at Gleason Golf Course. Vehicles parked in the Gleason lot are subject to be towed at owners’ expense.
- Avoid parking in the residential areas surrounding campus.
- Ride the FREE RedHawk Shuttle: park for FREE at the Park and Ride lot, located at Grant Street and 37th Avenue, and ride the RedHawk Shuttle for FREE between the lot and campus. The shuttle runs from 8 a.m. until 7:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday, when classes are in session.