Major in English
Select at least 10 courses above the 100 level, of which at least five must be on the 300-400 level (30
- Select from the following to meet the requirement English literature before 1700
- ENG-L 211 (3 cr.)
- Two courses from the sequence of courses from ENG-L 303 to ENG-L 320 (6 cr.)
- Select from the following to meet the requirement English literature since 1700
- ENG-L 212 (3 cr.)
- Two courses from the sequence of courses from ENG-L 325 to ENG-L 348 (6 cr.)
- ENG-L 315 Major plays of Shakespeare (3 cr.)
- American literature
- One course from the sequence of courses from ENG-L 350 to ENG-L 363 (3 cr.)
- ENG-L 440 (3 cr.) (also fulfills capstone requirement)
- Students must submit a Senior Portfolio. Requirements for this are available in the English Department.
- Students must also complete the general requirements of the College of Arts and Sciences
- Writing courses which count as English electives
- ENG-W 231 (3 cr.)
- ENG-W 233 (3 cr.)
- ENG-W 301 (3 cr.)
- ENG-W 303 (3 cr.)
- ENG-W 350 (3 cr.)
Total (30 cr.)
The department recommends that majors considering graduate work in English take elective courses in a variety of periods of English and American literature.
Students who expect to go on to graduate work are advised to take substantial work in at least one foreign language.
For more information, visit the English page on the IU Northwest Bulletin.