Late Withdrawal Policy
Revised March 2013
ACADEMIC HANDBOOK: WITHDRAWAL AFTER AUTOMATIC WITHDRAWAL PERIOD
After the automatic withdrawal period a student may withdraw only with the permission of his or her dean. This approval is given only for urgent reasons relating to extended illness or equivalent distress. To qualify for the grade of W, a student must be passing the course on the date of withdrawal. If the student is failing, the grade recorded on the date of withdrawal will be F.
The following procedure shall be used by the College of Arts and Sciences in the event that a student requests to withdraw from a class after the withdraw deadline has passed.1 The procedure outlined below is in line with the stated policy on late withdrawal requests in the Academic Handbook. Hereafter “Dean” will refer to either the Dean or Associate Dean.
- A late withdrawal will only be granted under the condition that the student is passing the course at the time the withdrawal is requested.
- THE STUDENT MUST CLEARLY SUPPLY A VALID REASON WHY HE/SHE MISSED THE W DEADLINE OR THE REQUEST WILL NOT BE GRANTED. "I FORGOT", "I DID NOT KNOW THERE WAS A DEADLINE" OR "I WAITED TOO LONG AND MISSED THE DEADLINE" ARE NOT VALID REASONS.
- DOING POORLY IN A COURSE IS NOT A REASON TO GRANT THE LATE W REQUEST.
- The student must carefully read and fill out the online form: Late Withdraw Request
- Do's and Do not's of filling out the form:
- Do make your statement short and to the point.
- Do take your time and clearly state the reason you should receive the late W. REMEMBER, YOU MUST CLEARLY EXPLAIN WHY YOU MISSED THE W DEADLINE. (see 1-3 above)
- Do use correct grammar.
- Do not include details about your personal life.
- Do not discuss your grade in the class - IT IS IRRELEVANT AS FAR AS GRANTING THE LATE W IS CONCERNED.
- Do not discuss your financial aid status as it is not relevant to granting the late W.
- The submitted form will be read by the Dean and a decision will be made to grant or deny the request.
- The student will be notified regarding of the Dean's decision via email. The registrar will also be notified via email to process the request. No other action is required by the student other than to wait a few days to check their record for the W.
The policy in the Academic Handbook takes precedence over the above stated procedure in all cases where a real or perceived conflict emerges.
Return to Table of Contents