Early Start Program
Early Start Program
Qualified college-bound high school juniors and seniors may take certain college courses while still working toward a high school diploma. The Early Start program is a chance to adjust to college-level work while accumulating credits towards a college degree. The classes for the Early Start program are held on campus at IU Northwest.
Registration as an ESP guest is for one semester only. If you do well and want to continue taking courses, you will need to contact the Office of Admissions for semester-to-semester approval. Please note that completion of courses does not guarantee formal admission to the University; a freshman application must be completed.
- Junior or senior class status in high school
- 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA out of a 4.0 point scale in high school classes completed
- Submit official high school transcript, possess a positive recommendation from high school principal (or designee) and have signed consent from parent or guardian[REC1]
- Complete the High School Student Early Start Application
- Obtain approval and signatures from your high school academic department head, counselor or principal.
- Submit your application, along with a copy of your high school transcript to: Indiana University Northwest Office of Admissions 3400 Broadway Gary, IN 46408
- Once we receive your application and necessary approvals, you'll be informed of how to register for classes online. Course fees will vary depending on the number of credit hours. Payment can be made by cash, check or credit cards through the IU Northwest Bursar's office.
For 21st Century Scholars:
A program for qualified juniors and seniors who are members of the 21st Century Scholars program. Students enroll into on-campus classes at IU Northwest.
Students in good standing with the 21st Century Scholars program who are accepted into the Early Start Program may be eligible for a full tuition scholarship (course and lab fees only) to cover the courses taken while in high school.
To apply please complete the 21st Century Scholars Early Start Program Application and return your application along with a copy of your high school transcripts to Indiana University Northwest Office of Admissions, 3400 Broadway Gary, IN 46408.
- Humans and the Biological World (BIOL L100)
- Intro to Biological Sciences (BIOL L101)
- Elementary Chemistry (CHEM C101)
- Principles of Chemistry (CHEM C105)
- The Solar System (AST A100)
- Public Speaking (SPCH S121)
- Ancient and Medieval Art (FINA A101)
- Art Appreciation (FINA H100)
- Music for the Listener (MUS M174)
- Intro to Theatre (THTR T115)
- Oral Interpretation (THTR T100)
- Acting (THTR T120)
- Intro to Computers (CSCI C106)
- Western World Masterpieces (ENG L101)
- Intro to Human Geography (GEOG G110)
- Intro to Earth Science (GEOL G101)
- American History I or II (HIST H105, H106)
- History of Western Civilization I (HIST H113)
- Intro to Philosophy (PHIL P100)
- Elementary Ethics (PHIL P140)
- Elementary Logic (PHIL P150)
- Intro to Religion (RELS R160)
- Minority Political Problems (AFRO A101)
- Survey Culture of Black Americans (AFRO A150)
- Intro to Psychology (PSY P101)
- Principles of Sociology (SOC S161)
- Origins and Prehistory (ANTH A105)
- Culture and Society (ANTH A104)
- Intro to Business (BUS W100)
- Intro to American Politics (POLS Y103)
- Criminal Justice (SPEA J101)
- Elementary Composition (ENG)